The citizens of Menorca believe that the Salsa Mahonesa (mayonnaise) was invented on the Balearic island. In any case, this sauce is definitely ideal with salad, fish or vegetables. Plus, there are tons of variations (see our tips below) The secret: make sure you use an authentic, mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)!
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 200 ml mild EVOO (Depending on the desired consistency, you can add more or less)
- Extra Virgin Lemon Oil (optional)
- Whisk the egg with the lemon juice and a little salt
- Then pour in the olive oil slowly, mixing constantly, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season to taste with salt and lemon juice or a little lemon oil.
Tastes great with fish dishes, paella, grilled meat and vegetables, tied salads, burgers and sandwiches.
*My recommendation: The mild blend Olive Oil from Casas de Hualdo with its light taste and excellent value for money.
With a few drops of one of our flavoured olive oils, you can adjust the taste to suit your taste.
For example, try 2-3 drops Arbequina & Plancton Olive Oil to a shrimp salad with avocado and mayonnaise.
With 3-4 drops Arbequina & Harissa Olive Oil in a mayonnaise you can create a wonderful hot sauce for e.g. Roasted potato wedges from the oven.
Stir in 1 tablespoon of ketchup at the end and you have for a healthy and home-made Cocktail sauce!