A classic and delicious Spanish tapa!
The freshness of the anchovies is crucial in this recipe, so make sure that you have a reliable fishmonger. Also make sure that the anchovies
- Have been deep frozen prior to use
- Have been perfectly cleaned and filleted by the fishmonger (head has been removed and the fillets have been de-scaled)
You will also needing a mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You will find a link to my suggestion in the ingredients below.
Ingredients for approx. 6 people
- 500 g filleted anchovies
- 500 ml cold water
- 4 to 6 ice cubes
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
For the marinade:
- 8 tablespoons of mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Sea salt
- 5 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 handful of finely chopped parsley
- Place the fillets in a rectangular recipient and cover with water and ice cubes. Leave to draw for in the fridge for approximately 2 hours. After this time, the anchovy meat should be beautifully white and clean.
- Throw away the water and cover the anchovy fillets with the vinegar. Leave to stand for 45 minutes in the fridge.
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing: place the EVOO, vinegar and salt place in a mixing bowl and stir the ingredients with a whisk. Add the garlic and parsley and mix well.
- Remove the anchovy from the vinegar, put in a sieve to drain and throw away the vinegar. Do not rinse the anchovies with water.
- Lay the anchovy filets neatly next to each other in the rectangular tray. Cover each layer with some marinade and repeat the process placing each layer perpendicular to the previous one. Cover the top layer with the rest of the dressing.
- Leave to stand for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Serve them on a round plate or platter with green olives.
They taste beautifully with „Patatas Fritas“ (crisps) or with a crispy baguette.